Townhill Park House is the former home of Lord and Lady Swaythling and is situated on the north-eastern boarded of Southampton, just south of the M27 between junctions 5 and 7. Ten minutes from Southampton airport.
The building dates from around 1790 and was extended and re-designed by the architect L. Rome Guthrie in an Italian-style in 1911; Guthrie also designed the terraced gardens to compliment the style of the house, with planting plans produced by Gertrude Jekyll. Guthrie returned to Townhill Park House after the First World War to add a music room (48x24ft), paneled in polished walnut. A smaller additional garden with stone terrace, steps and pathway can be accessed from the side of the hall.
Townhill Park House is now the home of The Gregg School, an independent day school for pupils 11-16. The school role is currently 300.
The house is set in 20 acres of parkland, formal gardens, an apple orchard and an arboretum. On the northern boundary is an impressive avenue of lime trees over 200 metres in length. The limes formed the original approach to the house.
The Jekyll gardens include a sunken garden with surrounding stone pergola and herbaceous borders leading up to the back of the house and along the terrace.
There is a hard standing area inside the entrance gates.
At the rear of the house is a recently refurbished stable block dating back to 1836.
Vincent Davies | Tel: 023 8047 2133 | Fax: 023 8047 1080 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Gregg School, Townhill Park House, Cutbush Lane, Southampton SO18 2GF